Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sculpture 51 FIRMAMENT


My individual sculpture is Firmament 5770. The "firmament " is a reference to that solid sphere in which the stars were thought to be fixed. It was made by John Adair, he used timber, plastic and light to make up a 5m*5m*15m black three dimensional box.


I didn't understand it at all the first time I saw the picture and the information about the firmament. When I walked inside, it made me think about horror, it was so dark I couldn't see my fingers. I was worried about following the way around it in the dark. I always felt there was a trap and I would fall down in next step. Lastly, I walked out I couldn't think anything. The next day, I remembered it and read the information again, then I found the meaning but I can't express it with my poor English.

These are the artist words. They may explain it better than me: Here the black walls had been pierced by tiny pinholes which allowed needle like pricks of light to illuminate the dark and oily meterior creating an intense and somewhat disorienting effect. A box made of mundane material and yet full of mystery, both empty and full, dark and yet filled with light,slient and yet resonant with voices. Arttist also think that the sucess of this work may lie in its ability to stand without debt to any prior narrative or meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment